Friday, June 13, 2008

New feature: Cracking the McCain Code

Today in a town hall meeting, John McCain said:

I do not and will not privatize Social Security. It is a government program and it's necessary ...but I would like younger workers - younger workers only - to have the opportunity to take a few of their tax dollars and maybe put them into an account with their name on it...We will make sure - I will commit - that present day retirees will get the benefits that they have earned.

This is code for:

My goal is to end Social Security by slowly privatizing retirement accounts, but nobody likes that term so I won't use it. By letting younger workers (anyone under retirement age, as I am only committing full benefits to "present day retirees") put some of their money in private accounts, we will soon drain the Social Secuity fund and there will be no choice but to end the program. In other words, I'm not going to "privatize" the government program that exists to help present day retirees, I'm just going to end the program for future retirees.