Friday, May 23, 2008

On the other hand...

My first reaction to Senator Clinton's reference today to the RFK assassination, as evidence that anything can happen in a campaign and that is why she is staying in the race, was that she didn't really mean it the way it came out. In my last post, I compared her RFK statement to the Obama "bitter" statement. Neither, I thought, was as heinous as the media made or would make them out to be.

Then I watched a few hours of MSNBC and heard of at least four other times when she referenced the assassination of RFK and one time when she referenced the assassination of JFK in order to make political points. So her statement today was not the simple gaffe it seemed at first. It is how she thinks. The assassination of RFK has been on her mind, and it certainly hasn't gone past her how many times people compare Obama to RFK.

I can't, I won't believe Clinton consciously wants her rival gunned down so she can be the nominee, but I have to wonder why it is so much on her mind. In the wee hours of the morning, when she lays in bed unable to sleep, and ponders the fact that she is losing her chance to be president, is she thinking this might be the way she is propelled to the White House?

To be honest, this dreadful possibility has been on my mind and, I assume, on the minds of many Obama supporters. When the thought comes into my mind that the candidate I support might be in danger from some nutjob, some hateful racist scumbag, I am filled with fear and horror as well as shame that this dreadful act has occurred so often in our short history.

But why is it on Hillary's mind? And what else is on her mind? Or has her increasingly insane attempt to win (steal?) the nomination caused her to lose her mind?

Leaving aside the outrage of referencing an assassination for political gain, it should be obvious to everyone now that Clinton has stayed in the race too long. She missed her chance to make a graceful exit, and like a guest who stays past the bedtime of the hosts, and turns a once enjoyable evening into a nightmare where things that shouldn't be said are said because everyone is tired, Hillary is losing her dignity.

She really should concede tomorrow.