Friday, May 23, 2008

Playing in the mud

Here's what Hillary said in a newspaper interview today, defending her staying in the race:

My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California.

A lot of people are getting all worked up about this and I wish I could. It would be wonderful for us Obama supporters if Hillary said something so awful that she would finally be forced to go away.

But I am simply not that appalled by what she said. Yes, it was awkward, and yes you can read all kinds of things into it, but all I think she meant was that a lot of contests go on to June and beyond and nobody should get all worked up about it.

It was definitely not cool to use the reference to Bobby Kennedy's assassination, especially when a lot of us are worried that Obama could be in danger from racist nutjobs who would like to see him dead. And I do believe Hillary is staying in the race at least partly because she hopes some scandal might happen that could make Obama unelectable. But not for one minute do I think she wants anything violent to happen to him. I think she said something stupid, which sounded like she meant something she didn't mean and now she sincerely regrets it.

So I don't think we should make a big deal about this. But then I didn't think we should make any big deal about Obama's "bitter" remark and the media as well as the Clinton campaign went nuts condemning Obama. So while I will not condemn her, I can't stop the press.

I guess when you play in the mud, you just might get dirty.