Sunday, September 14, 2008

Letting assholes take over the school yard

Some of the wisest political commentators out there right now are from Hollywood. As professional actors and image makers, they know a phony when they see one. And they see a phony and a liar and a dangerous man in John McCain.

This from Paul Reiser:

Obama treats us like adults, and McCain's team treats us like children.


Obama seeks to inspire and raise us as a nation. McCain's people want to reduce us to infants.

Obama asks us to be deep. And courageous. McCain prays that we're simple. And cowardly.

Now everyone is calling for Obama to "get angry." "Get out there and frown this way, curl your lip that way, and clench your fist like so." And, I don't know..... That'd be cool. Sure. But I don't think the fix can come just from him. There's only so much the guy can do. It's going to have to be us. I don't know what exactly we need to do, but I know we'll do it. I have to believe -- I mean I really have to believe we're big enough, strong enough and smart enough to reclaim what's ours. I love my children too much to let the assholes take over the school yard.